Monday, February 11, 2008

Surgery is scheduled

The doctor had originally told me that we'd do surgery when she's around a year old but he's bumped it up. He said that she will be safe with the anesthesia that they are going to give her and he's completely comfortable with doing the surgery when she's 8 months old. He said that the surgery that she will need is very simple compared to a lot of the surgeries he has performed to correct crossed eyes, or "strabismus", which is the technical term for what she has.

He said there's a pretty good chance that she'll have to have another surgery at some point in her life but he said "the younger, the better".

The surgery is scheduled for April 1st (April Fools Day!). I tried to schedule it for a later date because to me, that just didn't seem like a good day to do the surgery. The next date available wasn't until May and I didn't want to put it off that long, since he had recommended doing it in April. So, I'm hoping it will be a good day for the West family. We don't know exactly what time the surgery will be yet, it depends on how many other kids are having surgery and how old they are. They schedule the surgeries from youngest to oldest and the nurse at the doctor's office said that we're most likely going to be the first or second appointment of the day. That means that we're going to have to be there anywhere from 4-6am. On a Tuesday. That's the only day of the week that he does surgeries. Why the heck would you do them on a Tuesday? Why not a Friday and then we'd be able to be home with her all weekend. That would make sense though, right?

In the meantime, he wants us to put a patch over her left eye for an hour a day, to attempt to strengthen her right eye. From what I understand, they're like big stickers that will cover her eye. We ARE NOT looking forward to taking those off everyday!!

I am going to get some patches tomorrow on my lunch and we're going to start them tomorrow night. She's had an exhausting day, it's 6:15 and she's already asleep.

Her next follow up/pre-surgical appointment is on March 17th (St. Patrick's Day!).

* UPDATE * A few people have asked questions so I thought I'd post them on here as well...

Q: Will the surgery just be on her right eye, or both?
A: It will be on both eyes, because they both cross but the right is just a lot more obvious than the left.

Q: Why did they move up the surgery, I thought she was going to have it when she was a year old?
A: He said "the sooner, the better". There's a chance that she might be seeing double right now and he would like her to be able to see normally ASAP. I still think that the reason that she always holds her hand in front of her and looks at it is because she's trying to focus. When I was 10, I had an accident that caused me to see double for a few minutes and I remember holding my arm in front of me so that I could try to focus on it. I'm convinced that's why she does it.

Q: Are you scared?!
A: Um, HELL YES. We know it's the best thing for her though. Honestly, I don't think it's really sunk in yet. He's told us for the last two months that she was going to need surgery but that was supposed to be six months from now. I keep thinking "It's an outpatient procedure, it's not a big deal". She's our little girl, our Baby Brynn, nothing is supposed to happen to her. It makes me sad that she is only 6 months old and we're planning a surgery. It's scary but she's a tough little girl and we know that she'll be ok. She has to be, that's all there is to it!! We love you baby girl!!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad it sounds like everything is going smoothly! I have missed posting, and I haven't read other peoples blogs in forever! Teaching is keeping me busy! I have so much to tell you, so I will write soon. Brynn is getting so big! I can't believe she is over 6 months. AHHH!

Anonymous said...

everyone says hello from ohio that i have talked to about you west's! whole bunch of people you dont know in the counseling department :)my advisors going to be out there for spring break too, in chandler!

i have much to tell you as well!

im going to be out there for her appointment on the 17th! She WILL do well, if she's as stubborn as we both are, she'll be a trooper haha and you know that!

love you!

Sally said...

Is it scary...hell yes, but Brynn has "the stubborn streak" in her and will be fine. YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE FAITH! You will all be on our prayer lists. God is good and he does listen, just start having conversations with him and you will see.

When you had your accident I had a running dialog with God and look at you now! That was THE most scariest moment in my life. We didn't know if you would be mentally disabled from your brain surgery or not, or even make it through surgery. I'm convinced God was directly involved that day.
Your doctor told you what he was going to do before he told dad and I. When he came out to tell us, the first thng he said was, "you have one very brave little girl, God is with her so don't worry, she'll be fine." That is unusual for a doctor to say, at least back then. So that is really when I stated to have faith. Sorry to be preaching, you know I don't do that often, but I thought it important for you to hear.

The first thing you asked when you woke up from your surgery was "can I still skate?". I knew then you would be fine. We didn't baby you when you came home cause we didn't want you to be afraid of doing the things you normally would do. In fact, you started skating again 3 months later!Remember your helmut? You were one tough cookie and Brynn gets that from you!

It's okay to be scared, but your a mom now so you also have to be strong. Moms are what make this crazy world sane!

Love you, Chad and Brynn

Heidi said...

Oh wow, that is scary stuff. One thing that I've learned from dealing with doctors and surgeries is that they don't like to give a lot of false hope-so if they tell you that its a simple surgery and they think it will go smoothly, then that is what they intend to have happen. I'll be praying for you guys over the next weeks and months, though-I know that the waiting is the hardest part!

azjenn said...

My Dad was born on April Fools Day...can't be all that bad? He got a lot of fun things on that day! I'd think like a Friday the 13th would be worse! It is hard to have your little one go into surgery. We had both boys get surgery...Matt was 1, but Luke was 6 months. She'll get through this like a pro...she has your strong genes! She will be in and out before you know it!

Cassie said...

just letting you know that you all are in my prayers! i know God will provide so take a leap and have faith! If Brynn is any part of you, she will do just fine! Reading your mom's post made me cry but also it made me remember how strong of a person you were! life brings us challenges but we can work through them and grow from each challenge! you will learn so much about yourself from these experiences! even though we are many miles away, know that i love you and am always thinking of you and yours!!